Thursday 25 October 2018

More information about me... as a learner and educator

You can view my ABOUT ME me page for a summary!

Perhaps the most interesting about me is my history.  My unique history has led me to a path of an educator.  I graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons) in Psychology and a double minor in Microbiology and Biological Sciences.  I did my honours thesis in area of Applied Behavioural Sciences, which enabled me to assess preference in individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities.  I also finished an independent thesis in the area of Neuroscience, which observed the effects of enriched environment on rat models of autism.  From there, I worked as an Autism tutor.  I worked with different children with varying levels of functioning.

From there I was fortunate to attain a position as an Administrator for Opportunities for Employment, which is an employment services organization.  I eventually moved into a facilitator role.  I took classes in Behavioural Facilitation and eventually acquired a Certificate in Adult and Continuing Education (CACE).  I also started my Human Resources Management Diploma with Red River College, Curriculum Development and Instructional Design Extension Certificate with Mount Royal University, a Masters of Education with University of New Brunswick, and a Teaching English as a Second Language program with University of Manitoba.

All of the training and education that I am pursuing is due to the increasing education and language training demands within our community and my organization.  The increased influx of refugees and immigration, and the demand for programs that support their transition into Canada, has increased the demand for certain frame of thinking that could support their learning and training.  Due to this, I have decided to pursue further training that would enable me to better serve my participants and understand their needs a bit more.  I would like to become more effective in designing and delivering training programs and instructional materials that language learners can engage in and retain so that they may be successful in their job search and technical training.

I am passionate about giving people the help that they need so that they can bridge the gap between who they are right now and the successful version of themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment