Saturday 10 November 2018

Unit 9 Blog Post

I feel like this unit has opened up more opportunities for me to explore technological resources that would enhance learning, including language learning.  I think that we are moving beyond the traditional classroom or the traditional way of teaching is definitely a trend that I see in many classrooms, with many learners choosing online learning or blended learning for classes.  The increased accessibility and flexibility of online or blended learning has given learners a chance to learn language despite having personal challenges, such as childcare or transportation issues.  I have met many people who are genuinely interested in learning, but does not have the necessary support or resources to be able to engage in a traditional classroom.  I think that the most challenging aspect of being an immigrant or a refugee that has lower language skills is that they need to work right away, but do not have the necessary language or financial supports that would enable them to secure a job.  Some even have literacy issues that make it more challenging to learn.

I would like to incorporate infographics, games, applications, audios and videos that would help enhance learning, and this plays on the principles of adult learning.  Engaging as much of the senses will help learners absorb or remember information.  Keeping the learners engaged in the content also involves giving them content that is readily applied, which is the bulk of what I do within the classroom since it is occupational-specific training.

Looking back at my lesson plan, the vocabulary exercise is something that could be turned into a video or a game -- with it being interactive and engaging, and may utilize a competitive situation among learners.  Therefore, instead of using a quiz, I could possibly use the "Space Race" function on Socrative and have it as a group activity, which requires learners to work together but have a competitive spirit in the activity.  The engaging activity can aid in remembering information or storing information in our long-term memory.

I believe that in order for us to enhance the learning experience of students and assist in the acquisition of digital literacy (which is required for many tasks today), which may be incorporated within the visible or hidden curriculum.  The use of videos and other interactive materials may enhance learning, and making it readily available or accessible outside of the classroom environment.  By making it readily accessible for learners outside the classroom setting, they can practice and further develop their language skills.

Therefore, I do think that we can explore more programs that can help us enhance learning within or outside of our classrooms.  Due to the restrictions that were placed on me since I work for a non-profit organization, I do intend to look for free programs or applications that I can use to incorporate into my lesson plans so that I can properly assess skills or present information to the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment