Sunday 3 March 2019

TESL 0150 - Module 1 Public Domain or CC Licensing

Public domain is the status wherein the copyright holder of a content or material is said to waive the ownership of the copyright of their work, and no restrictions are usually made in their reproduction or alterations.  CC Licensing or Creative commons license is considered to be an open license, wherein the author ultimately maintains clear and specific ownership of the content or material but gives others the right to share, use or make changes to that material.  The important distinction is that CC licensing enables the author to impose restrictions as to how the work is altered to shared, whereas public domain seemingly waives any copyright restriction.

Personally, I do like sharing my work to others without any restrictions as to how they use it or how many times they share it.  However, I speak for my colleagues rather than the whole world.  I think it is important to note that different people would have different ideas and expertise and it is important to understand that people may take the materials and alter it in a way that I would not really agree with.  On the other hand, it is comforting that a blog such as this would be copyrighted to me though in the realm of public domain and it would be fairly easy to alter the way that I describe ideas or materials.

Ultimately, my personal work thrives in resources shared under the public domain and even if I do prefer that some works be put under CC license, it is much more accessible and there is more freedom in the public domain.

No comments:

Post a Comment